You are hereHome › Council Meeting Highlights for September 16, 2019
Canada's warmest welcome ®* December 7 2019
Council Meeting Highlights for September 16, 2019
2019 Rockin' with Santa on December 21 at Sun Bowl Arena
OFFICE CLOSED (2019)
2019 Committee of the Whole and Regular Council Meeting Schedule
Osoyoos Museum - Annual Christmas Open House
Art Gallery Creativity In Our Community Application Deadline Dec 15
2019-2020 Osoyoos Concert Series
Live at the Summit Music Series 2019 - 2020
2019 Osoyoos Festival Society Annual Christmas Lite Up
2019 Empty Bowls Fundraiser November 13
2019 Soroptimists of Osoyoos Fashion Show November 16
Desert Valley Hospice Caring Hands Fundraiser November 23
2019 Christmas Artisan Market Open House November 9
2020 Committee of the Whole and Regular Council Meeting Schedule
Remembrance Day Ceremony on November 11, 2019
Santa's Night Out 2019
United Church Thrift Shop Christmas Sale
East Osoyoos Christmas Market
2019 A Winter Concert with Saskia and Darrel
2019 Osoyoos Community Theatre - Cod Gone Wild
2019 Osoyoos Museum Fundraiser - Burger and Beer
OFFICE CLOSED (2020)
Council Meeting Highlights for September 16, 2019
Click on button to watch the video of the Committee of the Whole, Regular Open, Public Hearing, and Special Open meetings.
- Gina MacKay, Director of Planning and Development Services, presented an Official Community Plan update to Council. Director MacKay advised that to date there had been 234 respondents to the online survey (which closes October 6th) and that stakeholder workshops will be held on October 3rd.
- RCMP Superintendent Ted De Jager and Sergeant Jason Bayda advised Council that Inspector Brian Hunter will be Supt. De Jager’s replacement. Supt. De Jager also informed Council that the Community Active Support Table (CAST), which brings RCMP, Mental Health, Interior Health, Probation, and Social Development together for weekly meetings, will be going regional in the near future. Sgt. Bayda indicated that if there is an appetite in the community for another town hall meeting then one could be planned for the spring, when community members that have gone south for the winter have returned.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Council received a letter from the Okanagan Basin Water Board regarding follow-up to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans decision to not list the Rocky Mountain Ridged Mussel under the Species at Risk Act.
- Permissive Tax Exemption Bylaw No. 1354, 2019 was read for a first, second, and third time. This yearly renewal exempts non-profit organizations and places of public worship from property taxation and allows for the continued provision of services to the Town of Osoyoos community. The only addition this year would be Desert Sun Counselling Centre.
- Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.125, 2019 was read for a first and second time after Council approved the Zoning Application from Glen Harris. If adopted this amendment would allow for a craft brewery to be located at 15 Park Place. Council also set a public hearing for October 7th, 2019 at 4:00 PM in Council Chambers.
- Council authorized the issuance of Development Permit No. 19-11, subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the permit and the registration of a restrictive covenant on title of the subject property that prohibits age restrictions with respect to owners or occupants – which the developer has since agreed to. This authorization approved the form and character of the townhome development to be constructed at 8000 Vedette Drive.
- Council authorized a Fire Department budget amendment transferring $40,000.00 from Leasing - $5,000.00 to Training Wages and $35,000.00 to Equipment Maintenance and Replacement.
- Councillors King, Bennett, and Harvey attended the Official Community Plan Open House and thanked staff for their hard work.
- Councillor Bennett attended the Destination Osoyoos meeting on September 10th.
- Councillor Bennett attended Lobster on the Beach and thanked the Rotary Club and Jim and Cheryle King for their hard work.
- Councillor Harvey attended the Participate Osoyoos event at the Sonora Centre on September 11th.
- Mayor McKortoff and Councillor King attended the Community Safety Meeting in Oliver.
- Mayor McKortoff participated in the Terry Fox run.
- Mayor McKortoff will be attending UBCM meetings with Council Members and the CAO. They will be meeting with Provincial Ministers of Education, Municipal Affairs, Solicitor General and Minister of Public Safety, Health, Forests, Lands and Natural Resources, as well as the Attorney General.
- Mayor McKortoff will be attending the International Osoyoos Lake Board of Control AGM.
- A Public Hearing was scheduled in Council Chambers on September 16, 2019 at 4:00 PM for Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.123, 2019. If adopted this amendment would allow for a strata development consisting of six townhomes to be constructed at 9111 92nd Avenue.
- Gina MacKay, Director of Planning and Development Services, stated that due to procedural and content errors with respect to the notices that were provided for this matter a new Public Hearing would be required after the requisite notice had been provided.
SPECIAL OPEN MEETING
- Council set a new Public Hearing for Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1085.123, 2019 on Monday, October 7th, 2019 at 4:30 PM in Council Chambers.
Copies of reports are available within the Council Agenda packages located on the Town’s website www.osoyoos.ca.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9:00 am on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2:00 pm to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Special Events
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Property Taxes
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Claim my Homeowners Grant (HOG)
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Know Where to Rent/Purchase Carts for Residential Waste
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- Subscribe to eNews
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam