You are hereHome › Council Meeting Highlights for December 3, 2018
Canada's warmest welcome ®* June 26 2019
Council Meeting Highlights for December 3, 2018
2019 Property Tax Payments are Due on Tuesday, July 2
Annual General Meeting on June 17, 2019
NOTICE Weight Room Closure at SCC June 19 (Wednesday)
Spirit of Osoyoos Community BBQ Fundraiser on May 3
OFFICE CLOSED (2019)
OSOYOOS MUSEUM FREE ADMISSION DAYS
Osoyoos Museum - Annual Christmas Open House
Osoyoos Museum Society Annual General Meeting
Osoyoos Museum - The Great Day of Adventure
SOAP Theatre presents Lawrence & Holloman
Hike for Hospice on May 5 - Oliver
Osoyoos Lake Water Quality Society 2019 AGM on May 8
Art Gallery Opening Reception for Authenticity on May 2
Naloxone Training at Sonora Community Centre on May 6
2019 Music in the Park
Meadowlark Festival May 16-20
2019 Cactus Jalopies 15th Annual Desert Wine Tour
Parks Canada Public Information Session May 15, 2019
2019 Shred It and Forget It Event on May 25
71st Annual Cherry Fiesta July 1, 2019
2019 Osoyoos Market on Main
2019 Business Promoting Business Networking Night May 15
Osoyoos Lawn Bowling Club Free Intro Lessons
2019 Osoyoos Art Gallery Summer Artisan Market Opening
2019 Free Screening of The Grizzlies on May 31
Public Open House Evacuation Route Plan on June 25
Grand Opening of Osoyoos Off Leash Dog Park on June 19
Meet and Greet with Minister Sims on June 24
Desert Valley Hospice Society Poker Rally July 7
Council Meeting Highlights for December 3, 2018
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
- A presentation was made about the South Okanagan Immigrant & Community Services (SOICS) by Nora Hunt-Haft, SOS Local Immigration Partnership and Tahira Siheed, Executive Director to Council. They advised that they work with the YMCA and WorkBC. Within their team, board and volunteers over 15 languages are spoken.
REGULAR OPEN MEETING
- Council will provide a Letter of Support for the Osoyoos Museum Society for the OMS application infrastructure funding from the Ministry of Community Cultural and Recreation Program.
- Good Neighbour Amendment Bylaw No. 1277.01, 2018 was adopted. This Bylaw will help with the struggle to control the spread of Puncturevine in our area. These invasive plant species are particularly aggressive in our area and are the frequent cause of many popped bike tires along our walking and biking trails. (The seeds of Puncturevine are easily spread through contact with clothing, shoes, tires, pet fur, etc.)
- Council gave pre-budget approval to tender the repair of the Cottonwood Park retaining wall (complete with improvements) and upgraded Park lighting. This past spring the current retaining wall sustained damage from the flood water and repeated wave action. As a result, the four (4) wall sections are now leaning outward. Concrete and asphalt walkways have sunk and surrounding landscape areas have been compromised. True Consulting Ltd. has developed a repair plan which consists of repairs with improvements designed to withstand future flooding events. The total costs (not including GST) is $518,000. Emergency Management BC stated that they are willing to fund $281,565 toward repairing the retaining wall to pre-disaster condition, no improvements.
- Council approved the agreement with the Fraser Basin Council. A grant was awarded to the Community Services Department from the Fraser Basin Council to help offset the costs of installing direct digital controls in the Sonora Community Centre. An agreement must be signed in order to receive the funds and move forward with the project of installing direct digital controls.
- Council approved the Regional Tourism Marketing Fee for Service Agreement with Destination Osoyoos from 2019-2021 to provide tourism development, marketing and visitor services for the Town of Osoyoos.
- Council approved providing Destination Osoyoos (DO) a letter of support for a 3% MRDT program. Council approved DO request to receive MRDT funds directly through the province as the Town’s designated MRDT fund recipient and approved the signing of the Destination Marketing Agreement 2019-2023.
- Councillor Bennett attended the School District meeting.
- Councillor Bennett attended the Destination Osoyoos AGM.
- Councillor King attended the Destination Osoyoos Board Meeting.
- Councillor Bennett attended the Osoyoos Airport Development Society meeting.
- Councillor Rhodes attended the RDOS Strategic Planning Session.
- Councillor King attended the Destination Osoyoos AGM.
- Councillor King attended the Osoyoos Airport Society AGM.
- Councillor King thanked Councillor Bennett for decorating the Town’s parade entry.
- Mayor McKortoff thanked everyone who was involved with Christmas Light-up.
- Mayor McKortoff attended the SOAP It’s a wonderful Life play.
- Mayor McKortoff encouraged everyone to support the local businesses and events.
- Mayor McKortoff advised that Santa’s Night Out is at the Sonora Community Centre on Dec 6th.
Copies of reports are available within the Council Agenda packages located on the Town’s website www.osoyoos.ca.
The public is encouraged to attend the Committee of the Whole meetings which take place in Council Chambers at 9:00 am on the morning of the Regular Open Council meetings at 2:00 pm to learn additional in-depth information regarding upcoming business.
- About Osoyoos
- Animal Control & Licensing
- Anti-Idling Taking Action
- Boat Launch & Marina
- Boat Trailer & RV Parking
- Community Groups
- Events Calendar
- Memorial Benches
- Osprey Nest Live WebCam
- Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Recreation Programs
- Resort Municipality Initiative
- South Okanagan General Hospital (SOGH)
- Special Events
- Visiting Osoyoos
- Web Links
- Agendas, Minutes & Videos
- Annual Report
- Approaching Council
- Business Plan
- Capital and Operating Budgets
- Climate Action Recognition Program
- Committee of the Whole
- Council Members
- Financial Statements
- Mayor's Message
- Parks and Trails Master Plan
- Professional Reports and Studies
- Regular Council Meeting
- Role of Member of Council
- Ambulance & Police
- Bylaw Enforcement
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Community Services (Recreation)
- Corporate Services
- Curbside Garbage & Recycling
- Customer Service Feedback
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Department
- Near-Market Housing Meadowlark Place
- Operational Services (Public Works)
- Planning & Development Services
- Property Taxes
- Recreation Programs
- Rural District Water Systems 8 & 9
- RV Sani-Dump Station Information
- I Want To...
- Apply for a Building Permit
- Business Licences/Permits
- Apply for a Community Grant
- Apply for Employment Opportunity
- Book Ice Time
- Contact Us
- Find a Bylaw
- Find Dog Parks
- Find Out Landfill Hours
- Pay my Property Taxes
- Report a Street Light Out
- Submit a Request - Osoyoos Listens
- Subscribe to eNews
- View Current Water Restrictions
- View Maps
- View Osoyoos Lake Levels
- View Public Skating Schedule
- View the LIVE Osprey Nest Webcam